Friday 30 July 2010

food of the gods....

I confess, I love my food and I delight in food that is everyday fare produced and served in an exceptional way. Today I had one of those experiences.

Fish and chips can be mediocre, sometimes it can be very disappointing and a source of digestive problems. But a plate of perfectly prepared and cooked fish and chips, with mushy peas and white bread and butter is the food of the gods. Today I had just such a plate at Bardney Heritage Centre. Yes, a little tea room and haunt of steam train geeks at the end of the cycle path from Lincoln is an oasis. A rare treat in this fine county where, to be honest, fish and chips is rarely done well.

We chose to drive there, that was because Mum was with us and I don't have a means of attaching her wheelchair to my bike - nor am I ever likely to before some wag sends me details of how to do this. It is very easy to find as you come over the bridge into the village. Friday and Saturday lunchtime is the time to go (or they now do a take away service on the same evenings). It is well worth the trip. Mum managed to establish they use fizzy water in the batter but there was definitely more to it than that. They use very fresh fish, succulent and pure white; and the chips are peeled and cut by hand on the day so are all sorts of funny shapes and sizes but they are real!!! A fabulous treat - and I indulged in a chip butty :)

No comments: