Sunday 6 June 2010

It's only Rock and Roll


Those of you who follow my facebook posts will know I have been following the Rock and Roll Band series on BBC2. The series finale was a viewers vote from the top three nominations in each category of best band, lead guitarist, drummer, bass player and of course lead singer. The top three came from the online vote, which selected from a top ten chosen by music industry experts.

The event itself led to some fairly heated debate both on the show and on facebook - what actually is Rock and Roll? Those already collecting their pensions for some years now will hark back to the early days of 50s rock and roll - Bill Hayley and His Comets, Elvis Presley, Eddie Cochrane, and so on whereas the folks just starting out on their pensions will be drawn to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Who. Those moving towards pensionable age might favour Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Cheap Trick.... and what about the glam rockers? And the younger rockers might look to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Nirvana, Green Day and Kings of Leon. So what is rock and roll and how does it differ from the catch all of pop(ular) music?

For me rock and roll must have an element of danger about it – the band should not include people you would feel comfortable taking home to meet your Mum or your Gran. So, that in itself will make things different for each ‘generation’ that comes along. I am no musician, I cannot hold a tune, I cannot play a musical instrument and I have no sense of rhythm but I love to listen and enthuse, dance and sing along. And I know what I love...the drumming is very important to me, it has to excite me and the guitar playing must be skilfully executed and contain the all-important riff. The singer must be raunchy, soulful and gutsy – capable of gentle whisperings and wailing like a banshee. Showmanship should be there but understated. Everyone in the band should contribute, there should be no passengers.

So, returning to the series, I was delighted with the outcome which saw Led Zeppelin being represented in all of the categories and winning the best band accolade. I was less comfortable with Freddie Mercury being voted the best singer – I love him but in this context he is a tad too showy and where was Roger Chapman? Jimi Hendrix beat Jimmy Page to the lead guitar top spot – I can live with that and of course John ‘Bonzo’ Bonham was the drummer of choice literally beating off Keith Moon, another one who is brilliant but was just too unpredictable. I was confused by the choice of Bass player - Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, too showy for me; spare a thought for John Entwhistle and Paul McCartney or even Sting.

What does rock and roll mean to you? Who would be your choice?

2 comments:

Carol Arthur said...

Where was Eric Clapton, the Rolling Stones, Jim Morrison and why wasn't Ginger Baker voted best drummer? I'd say Andy Frazer from Free for best bass player. And no Roxy Music! Not a Led Zep fan so found the whole thing a bit disappointing. Stayed to watch until the bitter end, though

Peter S said...

I loath Led Zep - too self-indulgent and basically very boring.

No Mick Green, no Peter Green so the guitarist thing was always suspect.

Best rock n roll drummer would be Clem Cattini but he didn't even get a mention.