Monday 2 February 2009

first food for thought

Do I really want to blog? - I’m not sure but I think I should give it a go, after all I am sufficiently opinionated and I like to have a good rant here and there. Plus who knows, I could actually learn something if people can be bothered to join in and respond here and there. My ego is big enough but I am actually quite shy so it’ll take a while to get going methinks. I don’t like to think I have ever been one to go on and on until I have bored the audience into submission – but maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part!

Well brace yourselves, here goes…

Just recently I have felt moved to write a letter, well actually pen the odd email (can you pen and e mail?)about ‘Master Chef’. It’s about the only reality TV I watch (granted I had a short flirtation with ‘strictly’ purely because I am a big fan of Julian Clary and just so wanted to see him continue his spats with the judges).

I thoroughly enjoy the programme and enjoy having my taste buds teased by the sight of some very interesting food – ‘TV DOESN’T COME TASTIER THAN THIS!’ But...I have increasingly become enraged by the round in the professional kitchens of those flashy restaurants. The contestants suffer in the heat and pressurised environment with ‘Chef’ yelling at all and sundry – fine, that’s what they signed up for and if they want to get ahead they’ve got to be able to take it. But…it’s the food, the waste of the food, which has got me overcooked.
OK, so the fish is just a bit off centre from the watercress garnish but it is perfectly edible.
OK, so you wouldn’t want to send it out looking a bit frayed round the edges. But…do you really have to sling it in the bin?
Surely someone could eat it? Surely the staff could have the rejects for a snack at the end? Surely the dish could be frozen and passed on as a ready meal to some deserving cause?

I guess it’s my upbringing of not wasting precious food and being made to clean my plate come what may that lies behind my fury. But I strongly feel it is obscene to sling out good quality food when there are many who will die for the want of much less. Perhaps I have got it all wrong and there are restaurants out there doing the decent thing with their rejects – but it doesn’t look good from where I sit each Monday to Thursday evening. I wonder what our campaigning Chefs like Saints Jamie and Hugh get up to at their establishments?

Right, that’s better, it’s off my chest. I promise I won’t be quite so intense each time I write. But I’ve been stewing on that one for a few episodes now. I shall mull over some more thoughts and I may just blog again soon – unless this one ends up in the bin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grumpy Old Tart! Now there would be an item for the menu :-))
Peter

Anonymous said...

Less of the grumpy old tart oh toad in the hole! similar background - eat it all up - yuk!J.C.

Stuart Henshall said...

Yaay you are blogging.... I approve it's like our coffee dates but in Blog form....

consider me a fim follower

Sx